Technician I, Grounds
Reports To: Service Manager, Campus Facilities
Purpose of Position:
The Technician I, Grounds will be responsible for overseeing various work on the Olds College grounds.
Key Job Functions:
- ISA certified Arborist, climbing required
- Provides backup to the Tradesman IV Grounds in terms of day to day work plan and operations
- Oversees general ground maintenance, equipment operation, landscape construction / repair, and specialized maintenance operations on the Olds College campus and CLC grounds.
- Plan, monitor, fertilize, weed, assess annual bedding crop.
- Incorporate IMP in controlling weeds and other pests.
- Provide guidance to summer students.
- Prepare planting beds and maintain perennials; prune trees and shrubs.
- Operate equipment, including snow removal equipment, and landscaping equipment, such as sprayers, trailers, trucks, skid steers, lawn mower, etc.
- Support Waste Management on Campus
- Ensure that work orders are properly completed and related documentation is processed properly.
- Knowledge of environmental/sustainability issues
- Develops procedures for equipment and operations
- Provides reporting for the area that supports budgeting, inventories, and staffing requirements
- Two year diploma in Landscape Design, Horticulture, Arborist or related field.
- A bachelor's degree would be considered an asset
- Minimum of 3-5 years of direct experience.
- Two to three years of related experience in weed and pest control and growing horticultural crops
- Possess a minimum of a Class 5 Motor Vehicle Operator's License
- Possess a Pesticide Applicators license on hiring or by Probation end.
- Knowledge related to grounds maintenance and specialized grounds equipment.
- Strong decision making capabilities.
- In depth knowledge of Horticulture.
- Previous experience as a team lead.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team.
- Excellent computer literacy skills
- Ability to adopt new technology and practices
- Excellent customer service skills
- WHMIS and First Aid required
- Maintaining a required level of fitness including: manual dexterity, ability to lift up to 50lbs, and ability to perform repetitive physical work.
Conditions of Employment:
- Current Criminal Reference check that is free of any offenses.
- Must respect and actively promote health and safety policies.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the key job functions of this position, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It is not an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Other duties may be assigned.